Monday, March 9, 2009

New Find - Rebekah Findlay


A new artist find for me is Rebekah Findlay, a young singer/songwriter from North Yorkshire. In addition to performing solo, she is also a member of the duo One Stone and the folk/"old-timey" group Blind Summat!

I stumbled across Rebekah quite by chance but I'm glad I did. Her original pieces are well-crafted & lovely (her song "Duty Bound" won the Klondike Song of the Year 2008) and the arrangements of the traditional songs are fantastic (she's a multi-instrumentalist), but it is her voice that has completely captivated me. It's very down-to-earth and intimate and capable of carrying a great deal of emotion. It's the sort of voice that makes you lean in and listen closely; a story-teller's voice. I really love listening to her sing.

She is currently working on a full-length solo album and is finalizing an EP with One Stone. Until those are released, you can get a taste of her music here, on MySpace or, better yet, go catch one of her gigs. I'm really looking forward to watching her career grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment